Entomology and Plant Pathology
Entrance Requirements for Graduate Programs
The following courses should have been taken prior to acceptance into graduate programs in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology. A student may be admitted with deficiencies in these areas, but should take the courses and depending on the course may not receive credit toward their degree requirements. The courses required will be based on recommendation of their Advisory Committee.
For the M.S. Entomology Option:
Introduction to the Science of Entomology, ENTO 2993 or equivalent*
For the M.S. Plant Pathology Option:
Introductory Plant Pathology (such as PLP 3343) or PLP 5343*
The following courses are suggested for those students who are interested in graduate study in entomology or plant pathology.
1. Chemistry with lab (three semesters, including at least one semester of Organic Chemistry)
2. Introductory Biological Science with Lab (e.g., Principles of Biology, Plant Biology, Microbiology, Zoology)
3. Physiology with Lab
4. An Anatomy OR Taxonomy course
6. Statistics and College Calculus
* The prerogative of the student's Graduate Committee to waive specific curriculum requirements for good cause does not apply to Introductory Plant Pathology or Introduction to the Science of Entomology. If this course has not been taken prior to admission, it must be taken during the student's graduate program at OSU.
For the Ph.D. Program:
A Master's Degree with a research thesis is required. The entrance
requirements listed above also pertain to the Ph.D. programs. In
addition, the courses below are recommended for admission, subject to
the same make-up policy, as those required for the M.S.
4. Statistics and/or Experimental design